Level 1 Wines. Practice Questions Set B
Please note that these are OUR exam STYLE questions. They are NOT past papers and were not produced by or copied from WSET exams
1. You can make white wine from black grapes
2. Which of the pairs below are BOTH fortified wines?
3. What effect does sweetness have on the body of a wine?
4. Which of these wines is an example of a light bodied red?
5. Where does tannin come from?
6. A white wine from an oak barrel will have vanilla flavours
7. In wine what does the term body refer to?
8. Acidity helps in the ageing process of wine
9. Which of these is a full bodied red wine?
10. Tannin is a flavour in wine
11. In order to ripen grapes which factors are important?
3 Carbon Dioxide
12. Which of the following pairs of countries are classed as cool climate regions?
13. Which of the following best describes the word climate in relation to wine growing?
14. What is true about wines from a cool climate?
1 High in acidity
2 Lower in alcohol
3 Mainly white
15. A hot climate wine is typically red, high in alcohol and rich in flavour
16. Wine that is deeply coloured, rich, powerful,peppery, and has the ability to age is likely to be made from which grape?
17. As Riesling ages it is associated with which pairs of characters?
18. Champagne is made from which pair of grapes?
19. Châteauneuf-du-Pape is…?
20. Pinot Grigio is full bodied white wine from Italy
21. Where is Sauternes?
22. What happens when grape juice is left in contact with the skins during fermentation?
1 Tannins are extracted
2 Colour is extracted
3 Acidity levels decrease
4 Alcohol levels increas
23. What has happened when a wine smells of wet leaves and mushrooms?
24. What temperature range should oaked Chardonnay be served at?
25. Which wine may be lightly chilled to 13 degrees C?
26. Stomach ulcers can be the result of excessive alcohol consumption
27. The World Health Organisation suggests what number of units per day is a responsible guideline for women?
28. Salt can counteract the effect of umami on a wine
29. An off-dry wine is considered to be a
30. Which wine would best match a light salad with a vinaigrette dressing?