Level 3 Wines Section 3 Part 30: Questions
We're covering "Spain" here in our wine studies. As usual read the section and then use our questions to reinforce your learning.
1. Spain has four broad climatic zones:
2. What is the biggest problem in the North and North West vine growing region of Spain?
3. What sort of climate does the East coast vineyard region have?
4. What is the name of the large plateau in the centre of Spain?
5. What is Spain’s premier black grape variety?
6. What grape variety is widely used for Rosados?
7. Put the Spanish age categories in the correct order, youngest to oldest:
8. How are wines labelled that fall outside the hierarchy of PDO and PGI wines?
9. Gran Reserva wines are only produced in exceptional vintages and white and rosé wines are rarely made in this style:
10. What does Vinos de Pago VP refer to?
11. What are the ageing requirements for a Reserva red wine?
12. White and rosé wines have the same ageing requirements as red wines:
13. Which white wine is similar in style to Sauvignon Blanc and was used to make Sherry-like wines?
14. What is the most widely planted white grape variety in Spain?
15. What is much of the output of Airén used for?
16. Where is the lightest Rioja and one with most finesse found?
17. What grape is blended with Tempranillo to make a Rioja?
18. All Rioja wines are matured in American oak
19. How many white grape varieties are currently approved use in white Rioja?
20. Why are Garnache grapes for rosé production picked earlier?
21. Whereabouts in Spain is nearly all Cava made?
22. What is the name of the vineyard area close to Barcelona?
23. What are Llicorella?
24. Priorat wines are mass produced and inexpensive:
25. Ribera del Duero is a DO for:
26. Which of these grape varieties are also permitted in Ribera del Duero, but rarely used?
27. Which region South of Toro focuses on white wine production?
28. Where is the wine region of Rias Baixas situated?
29. Less than a quarter of Spain’s total wine production comes from The Meseta Central area
30. Which region is the home of the majority of the estates that have been awarded the appellation Vinos de Pago?